Best Toothpaste for Bad Breath
We’ve search the web and found the best toothpaste for bad breath. But, toothpaste can only help you maintain great breath once you fix some of the underlying causes for your bad breath.
Not sure if you are driving people away with your bad breath?
I spent years worrying about that because a family member was kind enough to let me know when my breath was particularly offensive.
Do You Want the BEST Toothpaste for Bad Breath?
Boy, was I embarrassed when she told me. And, even though I was doing plenty to try and fix my problem. It still took me years to figure out the one piece of information that no one could tell me.
Once I figured it out, I don’t hear about my breath any more!
- 1 List of Best Toothpaste for Bad Breath
- 1.1 Mentadent Toothpaste, Advanced Whitening
- 1.2 Crest 3D White Luxe Glamorous White Vibrant Mint Flavor Whitening Toothpaste
- 1.3 Pearl Drops Smokers Stain Removing Whitening Gel
- 1.4 Crest Complete Multi-Benefit Whitening with Scope Outlast Long Lasting Mint Flavor Toothpaste
- 1.5 Listerine Essential Care Toothpaste Gel Original Powerful Mint
- 2 How to Treat Bad Breath
- 3 Attack on All Fronts
- 4 Tongue Cleaning For Bad Breath
- 5 You Now have the Tools Needed for Fresh Breath
List of Best Toothpaste for Bad Breath
If you want to skip to the end to find out the secret that fixed my bad breath, then jump down to the bottom of this article.
But, you likely got to this page because you only want to find the best toothpaste for bad breath.
Once I fixed my underlying source for my bad breath, one of these toothpastes not only helped to keep my breath fresh, these also helped to keep my teeth dazzling white!
None complained about the actual toothpaste.
If you get this toothpaste, be sure you have the pump that these cartridges go in here.
One user said they really hate when they run out of this toothpaste because their husband is a smoker and she can really tell the difference when he uses something else.
The advanced whitening also helps with the smoker’s stain.
This is one of the three top Crest products we found.
As of this article, this product was #13 for top sellers in the Beauty Amazon category.
That’s incredibly high for such a broad category.
A small percentage of folks thought the toothpaste was too harsh and made their teeth hurt. So, if you have sensitive teeth, this might not be the best choice.
But, if you are in the group of 93% of users that loved this product, then the “harshness” is just a product that works extremely well for whitening.
And, the reviews for helping bad breath made this product a no brainer to try. We were lucky enough to be in the 93% group and were extremely happy with this product!get one FREE here.
You love a good smoke. But, that breath afterwards is just horrendous!
This toothpaste is specifically made for you.
Not only can it help with “smoker’s breath”, it has ingredients that are designed to combat nicotine stained teeth.
The makers of this product say it’s designed to also fight stains from teeth staining items like coffee and tea.
There aren’t really any horrible (1 star) reviews for this product.
The only bad review complained about Amazon, not the toothpaste.
Crest has performed laboratory tests with this toothpaste against others and finds that on average your breath stays fresh approximately 5 times longer.
Throw in that it includes teeth whitening features. And, that it also is proven in laboratory tests to fight the specific germs that cause base breath, and who could really ask for more.
Reviews for this toothpaste are through the roof (making it a strong candidate for the best toothpaste for bad breath).
Usually a product that is this high up in the Amazon sales rankings has a few haters.
But, the only reviews that had anything bad to say only talked about the shipping or getting the wrong product.
This product is clearly superior in providing what it claims to provide.
I personally use the original flavor Listerine to kill everything in my mouth when I get a sore throat.
It’s the Agent Orange of mouthwashes.
It pretty much obliterates everything it comes into contact with.
This is especially good for you if you have a bad breath problem as Listerine will kill those bad breath cells in your mouth.
So, combining the strong acting action of the of the mouthwash with an equally strong acting toothpaste is a winning combination (or losing if you are the bad breath germs).
The Powerful Mint flavor of this Listerine toothpaste was created to be very effective in combating the type of bad breath that is something that won’t go away without the extra “Oomph” that Listerine always delivers.
How to Treat Bad Breath
If possible, treat the source of the bad breath first. This means first identifying the source.
Here are several common sources of bad breath:
- Tongue bacteria build up. See below for more about this major reason for bad breath.
- Xerostomia or “dry mouth”. One reason for this is something called Sjögren’s syndrome. Click on the link to find out if you might have this.
- Poor Dental Hygiene leaves particles of food that grow old and develop into a strong smell.
- Oral Habits like tobacco products are known to leave film or particles that contribute to foul breath.
- Food Sources (garlic, onions, fish, cheeses, acidic foods) are well known contributors.
- Health issues associated with bad breath:
- Dental infections: Periodontal issues (gum disease), cavities (because of decay) or impacted teeth can grow into not only bad odors, but painful maladies.
- Dentures, braces, or retainers: These temporary (although sometimes long term temporary) oral fixtures often create gaps between them and your teeth. Food just simply finds a way into those crevices to hide while they rot.
- Medications: Many medications can change your oral chemistry enough to create an oral mixture of true odor badness. Antihistamines have been known to contribute, and also diuretics. These can cause dry mouth (see above), which can lead to bad breath. Other medications that may lead to bad breath may include insulin shots, Prilosec (reflux medication), triamterene (Dyrenium), and paraldehyde. Even Prozac (bad side effects) or Zoloft have been known to be prescribed if the doctor think the patient is imagining their bad breath.
- “Morning breath”: Bad breath when you first wake up is a very common ailment. While you are sleeping, your production of saliva slows to practically nothing. This allows your mouth to become dry and creates an environment where bacteria grows leading to bad breath.
Once you’ve identified the source of bad breath, you can apply the appropriate remedies (like picking the best toothpaste for bad breath and using it often).
Attack on All Fronts
To have truly fresh breath all the time, several habits can be formed to attack this issue on all fronts.
Pre or Post Brush Mouthwash (or BOTH)
Since one of the major reasons for bad breath is stuck particles of food, add a mouthwash to your regimen.
Doing this help to loosen or completely wash away those pesky foxhole dwellers.
Below are some swell products that work fantastically for this purpose.
If you don’t believe me, read this government study.
I’ve added some additional descriptions about some unique qualities each have. These product all would be a great addition to a quality best toothpaste for bad breath regimen.
With this offering, they have taken what was an already great product, and added a powerful whitening agent and provided it in one of their mint flavored mouthwashes.
Reviews for this indicate that this product is right on target for killing those bad breath germs while at the same time giving your smile a brightness kick.
And, like I mentioned earlier, just having Listerine around as a germ killer, can really help to shorten those battles with a sort throat.
To shorten my battles with a sort throat, I deep gargle with Listerine three times. As long as it hurts a little (warning, some think it hurts a lot), I believe it it killing those sort throat germs by the millions.
My completely non-scientific theory is that with fewer of those germs, your body is able to fight off the rest a lot easier.
My family makes fun of me saying that if there is anything wrong with me (sore muscles, headache, stubbed toe), that I’m always saying “just gargle”. But, I smile a little inside when they get a sore throat and there they are with “Daddy, where’s the Listerine?”.
It has a powerful formula that kills 99% of the germs in your mouth.
So, those bad breath germs get annihilated when you pull this weapon out of your holster.
If smelly foods is one of your bad habits, this might be a good addition since it works for 12 hours regardless of what foods you have eaten.
If gingivitis is one of the issues you have that is contributing to having bad breath, then this product will help because it includes ingredients that are designed to specifically fight gingivitis.
And, with that secret weapon you get not only teeth whitening, but germ fighting.
This fresh mouthwash hits your mouth with a “premium” blend of strong minty flavors mixed with the germ fighting peroxide.
This mouthwash also includes ingredients that improve the strength of your enamel.
So, if you have sensitive teeth, this product would be a great addition to your ritual.
An alternative to purchasing one of the mouthwashes above is to try something a little more natural. Find below my list of a few suggestions that can be used, but can keep you chemical free:
- Coconut Oil – This ingredient is truly a wonder “drug”. the more I research about various beauty and health issues, the more I find different ways to use coconut oil. From improving the quality of your hair, to creating healthy skin, and now for bad breath. This ingredient from nature has truly magical powers. If you don’t believe me, just click here to read the amazing number and quality of reviews.
- Green Tea – While researching, I found several articles (I found this one referencing scientific research to be interesting) that mention using green tea to help with bad breath. Green tea is also thought to help prevent cancer and battle heart disease. So, as long as you are living longer, why not have good breath along the way?
- Clove – This antibacterial spice kills the germs that haunt your friends while they sleep. So, would popping a dot of clove into a boiling pot of water for some tea every once in a while really kill you? Just think of it as helping your friends get a good night’s sleep.
Tongue Cleaning For Bad Breath
This is the secret I alluded to above. Maybe you already know about this and don’t think of it as a secret. But, I went almost 30 years before someone pointed out that doing this could help.
I consider this the single most important thing you can do to help with bad breath.
After I did this thoroughly once, my bad breath changed from Horrendous (yes, with a capital ‘H’), to annoying.
Once it was reduced to “annoying”, many of the tricks I list above became useful.
Before I did this, even if it used any of the products or remedies above, it didn’t matter because none of them really got rid of the build up that was providing the constant source of bad breath.
I love WikiHow. I was particularly happy when I found this page that talks about exactly what I did to basically chop my ‘H’ halitosis to ‘a’ halitosis.
You Now have the Tools Needed for Fresh Breath
I truly believe if you scrape your tongue (first time is the most improvement; but, continue every once in a while to keep it relatively clean), you can improve your breath 10 fold.
If you still have problems after trying the best toothpaste for bad breath, the other products can really also help.
However, if you have health reasons, you really should follow up with your doctor to find the root cause of the halitosis. Doing so could not only improve your friends atmosphere (and allow you to keep your friends), it could literally save your life (depending on the source of the problem).
Once you’ve identified and eliminated the root cause for halitosis, using the best toothpaste for bad breath can be a fantastic maintenance activity that will keep your mouth fresh, and your friends from heading for the hills.